Eligibility for Refugee Visa
You may be eligible for this visa if you are:
- From outside Australia
- Living outside your home country
- Subject to persecution in your home country
- Identified as a refugee or subject to substantial discrimination causing gross violation of human rights in your home country or deemed to be in humanitarian need
You must be outside Australia when the visa application is lodged and when the application is granted.
There must also be compelling reasons for the decision maker to give special consideration to grant your visa. This is general to all permanent visa subclasses under Australia's offshore Humanitarian Programme and involves assessing several factors like
- The extent of your connection to Australia
- The degree of discrimination or persecution to which you are subject to in your home country
- Whether there is any other suitable country that can provide your resettlement and protection
If anyone from your immediate family has been granted refugee visa in the past 5 years, they have the eligibility to propose you from this visa under the provisions of "spilt family."