Migrate to Australia as a Teacher | Know PR Pathways

Get Started As An Overseas Teacher in Australia- Know Education Requirements & PR Pathways

Overseas Teacher in Australia

Australia is a country that has always been commended for its focused, practical education system, great pay-scale and world-class infrastructure. Hence, it comes as no surprise to know why a great number of overseas teachers every year wish to migrate there permanently.

The salaries of educators in Australia range from $30,000 to $65,000 depending on the state, qualifications and the level of education being offered. However, to land a teaching job in Australia and permanent residency, it is mandatory to meet the qualification criteria, have the skills assessed and apply for the right working visa.

Qualification Requirements

You can only meet the qualification requirements if you:

  • Have completed study similar to 4-year full time tertiary level qualification (or part-time equivalent) in Australia
  • Gained experience of least 1 year full-time or equivalent part-time tertiary level of professional teaching studies related to the nominated teaching occupation
  • Undergone 6 weeks of supervised teaching practice related to the nominated teaching occupation. You must submit an evidence of this in the application
  • Must be currently qualified to educate in the country you obtained your qualifications or the country you are currently teaching in. To prove this, a written evidence is required from an appropriate official teacher licensing or employment authority
  • Meet the English Language Requirements

Permanent Residency or PR Visa Pathways for Overseas Teachers in Australia

In Australia, one can either work as Secondary School Teacher (Year 7 - Year 12), Primary School Teacher (Year 1 – Year 6) or Early Childhood (pre-primary school). The Second School Teacher and Early Childhood (pre-primary school) Teacher both are on the Department of Home Affairs’ MLTSSL (Medium to Long Term Strategic Skills List). This means, if you are qualified in these positions, then you can apply for General Skilled Migration visas or the permanent work visas. These include:

      • Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189):

This is points-tested visa for skilled workers who are neither sponsored by an employer or family member nor nominated by state or territory government.

      • Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190):

This visa is for those skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.

      • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489):

While this is not a permanent visa but it does make an applicant eligible to apply for the one. It is a four-year provisional visa that requires you to live in regional area for at least 12 months and work full time for at least 12 months.

While those are willing to migrate to Australia as Primary School Teacher can apply for the permanent employer sponsored visas

      • Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186):

This visa allows working in Australia under any of the three streams named the Temporary Residence Transition Stream, the Direct Entry Stream and the Labour Agreement Stream.

      • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187):

This visa allows working in regional Australia under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream or the Direct Entry Stream.

To know more about the streams in detail, you can visit:

How to get the skill assessment done?

A skills assessment is required because it verifies the suitability of an applicant for the nominated occupation. In Australia, the skills for school teacher occupations for skilled migration program are assessed by the AITSL (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership Limited). It is an authority known for promoting excellence and empowering educators to create better education outcome for Australian children.


Each state 0in Australia manages its own education system, therefore being an applicant you need to make sure you meet all the requirements for the state you are applying in. It also requires you to get registered as a teacher.

Hence, it is always recommended to seek an expert assistance to proceed in the right direction. At XL Migration, our registered immigration experts will not only help you understand the visa requirements thoroughly, but also make sure you obtain a relevant skill assessment and get the desired outcome in no time. To get in touch with us, email us at: INFO@XLMIGRATION.COM.AU or call us for consultation on 08 9325 9632.

Latest Post

Your Guide to Securing a Permanent Partner Visa 801 in Australia in 2024

Unlock your future with your partner in Australia by understanding the Permanent More...

How do the Qualified Nurses have a better chance of PR pathway to Australia?

Pursuing Nursing, either study or working in Australia, is very beneficial. Read More...

Easy Techniques to Crack PR codes for Test Points

Studying in Australia have become quite common, but what takes to reach there is More...