All you need to know about the Australian Bridging Visas

Your Guide to Australian Bridging Visas

Your Guide to Australian Bridging Visas

Bridging Visa

A temporary visa you can get so that you can stay in Australia while your substantive visa application is under process.

It is mandatory for you to be present in Australia to be granted this visa

Australia is one country that truly lives up to being the one of the most preferred destinations to study, work and settle. It is natural of you to be eager to explore the many opportunities that the land down under offers. What happens when a current visa on which you are staying in Australia expires before you have got another appropriate Australian visa approved? You can get a Bridging Visa granted.

Let us look at some of the obvious and important questions that will give you a basic yet broad idea about Bridging Visa for Australia.  

When would you require a bridging visa?

You will requrie a Bridbing Visa when you want to continue staying in Australia but your current visa is about to cease and you have an applicaton pending under process with Department of Home Affairs for approval.

Is there any particular Bridging Visa?

There are 5 major types of Bridging Visas. Let us have a look at each one and the various conditions under which an applicant might get it.

Bridging Visa A (BVA) – Subclass 010

When you are in Australia on a substantive visa and you apply for the other visa. It will let you stay in the country till a decision is made on your current visa application. The visa comes into effect on the day your current/ former visa expires. It is automatically granted to you when you file another visa application onshore. Any family members you included in your application will also be granted the same Bridging Visa A. There will be caveats applicable for this type of visa, one of them is that you cannot travel outside of Australia. 

Example: Let’s suppose you are holding a student visa that expires on November 30 and you have successfully lodged application of a temporary graduate visa 485 on November 15 then you will be granted the BVA on November 15, right after lodgement. However this BVA would not come into effect until November 30.

Bridging Visa B (BVB) – Subclass 020

The BVB is essentially for getting the rights to travel outside of Australia while you are on BVA. In most cases, BVA Visa holders apply for this visa to be able to travel out of the country and the DHA grants it for particular dates that you have applied for post which it will expire. A valid reason for this visa is important and holiday is not acceptable reason when you are on your bridging visa A. Also, you might need to prove the intent of your travel with supporting documents. Currently the visa cost is $145.

Bridging Visa C (BVC)  - Subclass 030

When you are already onshore on a bridging visa (except for bridging visa E) and applying for a substantive visa you will be granted this temporary visa to stay in Australia lawfully. You cannot travel while you are on this visa and must stay in the country till the time you are granted the other visa you applied for. Depending upon your circumstances and upon request for work rights, you might be allowed to work.

Bridging Visa D (BVD) – Subclass 040

The bridging Visa D is a temporary visa which is granted under rare circumstances. In following cases, you might be eligible to obtain the BVD visa:

  • If you are residing in Australia but are not legally a citizen
  • If you have tried to apply for a substantive visa but were unsuccessful in lodgement due to incorrect payment or lodged with incorrect form.
  • If you are planning to apply for any substantive visa in next 5 days after the above erroe has occurred.
  • If you are living in Australia unlawfully and are unable to or unwilling to apply for a substantive visa and there is no authorised officer available to interview you.

You are neither allowed to work nor travel while on this visa.

Bridging Visa E (BVE) – Subclass 050

Bridging Visa E is another temporary visa granted under particular conditions when you are not residing lawfully in Australia. Also if you fall under any of these circumstances:

  • You have applied for a substantive visa while being unlawful
  • You are making arrangments to depart Australia
  • You had a visa cancelled and you have applied for review of your case to the tribunal
  • You have or want to apply for intervention from Minister of Immigration post refusal from the tribunal
  • You have applied for a judicial review at an Australian Court

Depending upon your profile, you might be eligible to apply for multiple BVE. You cannot travel while on this visa or apply for another bridging visa.

Points to Note while on Bridging Visa E

  • The bridging visa E is usually granted for a period of 28 days post refusal or cancellation of any AAT or visa application.
  • Leaving Australia while on a bridging visa might put you on higher end of risk where you might also be banned from entering the country.
  • Over staying after your bridging visa E has expired might cause your detention or removal from the country
  • In case you are holding more than one bridging visa then the one that is most favourable will remain valid.

An expert registered migration agent can provide accurate advice you on the applying for a bridging visa. It is very important that you know your rights and obligations while you are in Australia. Instead of risking your lawful status, it is always wise to obtain assistance.

And trust us when we say this, most visa applications are denied due to lack of proper documentation or missing out to provide the required details!

Our migration agents bring years of experience in providing visa related advice and professional service to numerous clients. You can rest assured that you are being guided accurately and offered with best solution possible. If you have any queries or are facing troubles with your visa application or want a expert’s outlook before applying for a visa, then why wait? You can always reach out to us on 08 9325 9632/ 0 414 894 421 or book an appointment to visit our office at Ground Floor, 130 Royal Street, East Perth WA 6004

Latest Post

Your Guide to Securing a Permanent Partner Visa 801 in Australia in 2024

Unlock your future with your partner in Australia by understanding the Permanent More...

How do the Qualified Nurses have a better chance of PR pathway to Australia?

Pursuing Nursing, either study or working in Australia, is very beneficial. Read More...

Easy Techniques to Crack PR codes for Test Points

Studying in Australia have become quite common, but what takes to reach there is More...